Jan 15, 2013

Battle of the Butterbalms


When it comes to tinted lip balms, choosing can be tricky. There's the softness factor, longevity, SPF, quality, packaging (it must be easy to carry), and anything else you might consider while at the drugstore. I was getting a few questions pertaining to the infamous lip butters and balms...."which were your faves?" and  "Which ones were good in pigmentation?" So I decided to put these balms in a battle.

My personal favorite are the LOreal Colour Riche Caresse's. Stumbling upon these after finding a coupon I picked one up and hoped for the best. It's sweet scent, pretty color, moisturizing texture and smooth application got me. Another favorite of mine are the Revlon Lip Butters, and pretty much for all the same reasons! And while this article only feature items from the drugstore doesn't mean other nice tinted balms and butters from the higher end aren't as good, it's just taking me a while to discover (or I can't find myself to spend $20 on a little tinted lip balm from Sephora) :)

When it comes to pigmentation: The Revlon Lip Butters take the prize....



...more pigmented than the LOreal Colour Caresse, the LOreal Colour Riche Balm, Maybelline color Whispers, and the Revlon Just Bitten kissable lip balm stain. I must say that both Revlon's (Lip butters and Just bitten) seem to be almost at tie, lip butters are slightly more pigmented.

When it comes to moisturization longevity: It's a sweet tie between LOreal Balm with Argan and LOreal Caresse. The Revlon Lip butters are moisturizing except a little drying after a while.

When it comes to true shine: LOreal Colour Caresse take the prize. I had a little difficulty testing this out, it seems as though the shine is amazingly the same when swatched on the hand but on the lips it tells a different story. Revlon's Lip butters almost took this prize but the Colour Caresse's were shiny as if I'd put on a dab of gloss, but it was very close! Also keep in mind that the color of the product will make a difference in the shine, I found that most of my darker colors had more shine than the nudes or light pinks.

When it comes to color longevity: Revlon Just Bitten took this prize, but I didn't think it was fair since it is a lip stain, so all in all it was the Revlon Lip butters that took this prize. There was a little resistance with the Color Whispers so was it possible for a three way tie? Just to be on the safe side, yes. I think all three of them fair the best color longevity.

When it comes to color selection: Revlon Lip Butters and Maybelline Color Whispers tie. They both have 20 colors in the collection. I kind of hoped that the Color Whispers could of had more variety of bold colors versus that many light pink and nudes that almost make half of the collection. But nevertheless the colors suit any taste. Judging from the Revlon Lip Butter pic at the top you could tell that my love for them took over in my vanity. In my opinion the nude colors are sort of absent in this area. I just love the texture of them and I'll be first in line if Revlon ever makes more colors! 2nd prize in this category goes to the Colour Caresse's with 16 shades to choose from. The bottom of this list: Just Bitten with 12 colors and LOreal Colour Riche Balm with a mere 8.


 
Swatches of the participants -Top to Bottom:
 
Revlon Just Bitten Kissable in Cherish
Maybelline Color Whisper in Mad for Magenta
Revlon Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake
LOreal Colour Riche Caresse in Merino Mauve
LOreal Colour Riche Balm in Rose Elixir
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment